Pages

2.17.2011

Legends

I've been on quite the King Arthur kick lately.


Maybe it's because I decided to write a piece loosely based (the key word here is loosely) on Arthurian legend.  I say "loosely" because it is loose.  There's no talking shrub with a top hat in the original, now is there?
It could also be because I suddenly seem to be going on a withdrawal from Merlin, the fantastic wait-why-do-I-love-this-show-oh-yeah-that's-why show from the BBC.  What can I say?  It's my guilty pleasure.
Which, I'd like to point out, it pretty respectable as far as guilty pleasures go.  I could be watching Jersey Shore, or really anything else on MTV.
I believe the appropriate acronym for that situation would be KMN.  Also, I would hope someone would say: "who are you and what have you done with Meagan?"



There are also, of course, many, many other takes on the Arthur legend.  I'm currently working my way through The Story of King Arthur and His Knights (translated by Howard Pyle).  Sadly, it does lean more towards "work."  It's interesting, but he coulda dropped the "thous" and so on and so forth.
I much prefer Bernard Cornwell's Arthurian trilogy.  If Arthur really lived, this is probably what his life would have been like.  No indoor pluming, clearly.

m.

I would also just like to point out that the relationship between Arthur and Guinevere was not ideal, and definitely not a relationship you'd like to use as a model.  She had an affair with Lancelot.  An.  Affair.

Jousting.
Lady of the Lake.
Sword fighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment