Pages

2.20.2011

Letters

I adore getting letters in the mail. 
I have a correspondance going with one of my best friends, but other than that, I don't really get anything.  The other day, though, I got a (late) valentine's letter from a friend here at school, and it's one of the sweetest I've ever gotten.
[To be honest, the primary reason is because it's from a guy for a specific reason, whereas my (female) friend from home and I write about daily life stuff.  Yeah, we're old fashioned like that.]


So I thought I'd share some winning letters.


One of my favorite famous letters is from John Keats to Fanny Brawne.


To Fanny Brawne: 
I cannot exist without you - I am forgetful of every thing but seeing you again - my life seems to stop there - I see no further. You have absorb'd me. 
I have a sensation at the present moment as though I were dissolving ....I have been astonished that men could die martyrs for religion - I have shudder'd at it - I shudder no more - I could be
martyr'd for my religion - love is my religion - I could die for that - I could die for you. My creed is love and you are its only tenet - you have ravish'd me away by a power I cannot resist.
- John Keats 




And just to show you how awesome the letters I get from home are, here's part of the latest one.
[Quick side note: she wrote this letter while studying in Spain.]


I have not made any Spanish friends.  As far as I can tell, the only way to go about doing this would be to go to a bar by myself in a low-cut shirt and look lonely.  And even then, I think the people I would meet wouldn't quite be looking for friendship.  Well, not unless it involved 20 litres of calimocho (coke and wine) and a hotel room.


Yes, that is the quality of my letters.  See why I like them so much?


m.

No comments:

Post a Comment