Pages

10.07.2010

New

You know what I love?
Set schedules.
Like when a professor tells you a class is going to be at this time, in this classroom, and then--egads!--it is.
However, seeing as though I can't find said set schedule online, I'll have to find something else to share today.

Glee.
Yes, I am one of those people. Come on, don't you just want to break out into song at inopportune/perfect moments in your life.
That's okay. I know you want to, you just don't want to admit it.

Glee is one of the two tv shows that I specifically take time out of my life to watch (the other is Big Bang Theory).
"Grilled Cheesus" was the title of last night's episode (last night for me, at least. I have to watch them the day after they come out, being in Turkey and all), which caused me to panic a bit. I'm a Christian, and while I will readily admit that God works in strange ways sometimes (like: "Really? Really? I trust You, God, but I don't think that would even fly on a soap opera"), I don't think He spends too much time trying to talk to us through sandwiches.
Which is more or less exactly what Emma said on the show.
All in all, I thought they handled it extremely well. I liked that they represented both sides (and subsets) of the argument, and that they didn't make any of the opinions just...stupid. I've seen that before, and it always makes me mad, even if they're against God. People who don't believe in Him aren't stupid, for the most part, and they have better arguments than "he wouldn't have let my cat die when I was 5."
Grow up, people who write dialogue like that. You shouldn't be writing theological arguments when you can't even write.

Okay. Done grandstanding.
We return you to your originally scheduled program, sans dancing.

What I love so much about the show is how they never cut anybody any slack. Every character has their good and bad parts.
Hey! That's just like real life!
There are plenty of parts that are over the top, but when you get rid of some of it, there are plenty of bits that sound like sound bites from a high schooler's life.

The other thing I really love about it is how they know that they're over the top, and they have fun with it. They don't try to delude themselves into thinking that it's a highbrow drama with lots of morals and life lessons.
For pete's sake, they did a Lady Gaga episode. I hold it's impossible to take yourself completely seriously when you're dressed in giant bubbles, or have Beanie Babies stapled to your jumper.
They also had an episode directed by Joss Whedon (who is king of American scifi). With Neil Patrick Harris. It's about time the guy got some props for his voice.

m.

And: Chris Colfer, who plays Kurt, did the most fantastic rendition of "I Want to Hold Your Hand." I never thought that song could be done in ballad form.
Boy, was I wrong.
"Wheels" image courtesy of http://nymag.com
Lady Gaga episode still courtesy of http://bolahenksokak.blogspot.com/
Neil Patrick Harris & Matthew Morrison's rendition of "Dream On" poster-worthy image courtesy of http://www.nydailynews.com/
Final image courtesy of http://mjsbigblog.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment